5 August is a glorious day in the Pochaev Lavra’s life, and only a life of cloister but in the life of the whole orthodox world. On this day Pochaev miracle-working icon of the Theotokos is solemnly honoured every year. The commemoration of this date is due to miraculous deliverance of Pochaev cloister from the Turkish invasion by the miraculous apparition of the Mother of God from Heaven whose Omophorion spread over the Holy Trinity Church, accompanied by angels and the Venerable Job. Thousands of pilgrims arrive here to worship Our Mistress the Theotokos together with cenobites and bow unto Her wonder–working shrine, that is famous for the life-giving and healing power.
The first healing eventuated in 1597, when Philip, a brother of landlady Goyska, who was born completely blind, received cure after fervent prayer next to this icon. This shrine is gift of Greek metropolitan Neophit for hospitality and hearty welcome of devout noble woman. Eminence had a business trip not far from her estate; he was received cordially by this lady of the manor.
After miraculous healing of her brother, Goyska decided to present this holy thing to the Pochaev cloister. Numberless cures were received by worshipers who bowed unto miracle-working icon with sincere faith.
Festivities began as far back as on the 2nd of August (feast-day of Saint Prophet Elijah), when great sacred procession with wonder-working icon round Lavra took place after liturgy. Such significant event happens only once a year. Several thousand people took part in it. This sacred procession was ended with lite and funeral repast in commemoration of the dead brethren and laymen, who had suffered from Tatars and Turks; of the builders, benefactors of this holy spot and of all orthodox Christians.